During my lunch break, I went browsing around a grocery store near my work and picked up a few things on sale. I think I scored some deals.
- Kashi Dark Chocolate Mocha Almond granola bars – $3.29
- 6 Whole wheat bagels – $1.99
- 2 pints of blueberries – $1.98 (99 cents each!)
- Simple Pleasures “Spice Snaps” – $2.49
The blueberries and bagels were definite steals. I thought the cookies would ring up at $2, but oh well. And the Kashi granola bars are always relatively expensive, but that is what we must pay for the goodness of Kashi!
Once I got home from work, I was ready to cook dinner. I was starved. The benefit to preparing chili is that there are plenty of vegetables to munch on while cutting. I have a thing for raw zucchini.
(Really, this chili can be made any time of the year)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 bell pepper, colour of your choice, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 3 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 can of kidney beans
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 can mushrooms, drained (or 8 fresh mushrooms)
- 1 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp molasses
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
1. In a large pot, add the olive oil along with the garlic, pepper, zucchini, and carrots. Heat over medium and saute for five minutes.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes on low heat.
This is a modification of Oh She Glow‘s Chili. I love this recipe for the cocoa powder and chia seed additions. The cocoa powder gives it a beautiful dark colour, and the chia seeds thicken it up. Husband actually thought for a second there was ground beef in this (He wishes!). This recipe is also great to play around with. You can use whatever fresh veggies you have kicking around, and whatever beans too. I added leftover baked beans from yesterday and it melded perfectly.
I especially love the mushrooms in this.
While the chili was simmering on the stove, I whipped together some Blueberry Oat bread. I was feeling motivated today I guess!
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (or 1/4 oil, 1/4 apple sauce)
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup oats
- 3 tsps baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1/4 cup fresh blueberries
1. Heat oven to 350 F. Grease a loaf pan or make life easier and use a silicone one 🙂
2. In a large bowl, mix sugar, milk, oil, apple sauce, and eggs. Stir in the remaining ingredients except the blueberries. Once everything is mixed, fold in the blueberries. Pour the mixture into the pan and sprinkle with some more oats for aesthetic purposes.
3. Bake approximately 55-60 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes and remove from pan.
It looks even better in sunlight 🙂
I look forward to having with some grapes and a cup of tea. That is how I like to roll.
Before I conclude for the evening, I want to leave you with a teaser…
I am FINALLY going to try a Chocolate Cherry Bomb tomorrow! Minus the hemp products, and milk instead of water. Stay tuned!