Oh, what a night.
Before I begin talking about yesterday’s eats, I have to tell you about my experience last night!
My husband and I got home from the surprise party at around midnight. I went immediately to bed, and woke up around 1:30 am to my husband freaking out. Our carbon monoxide detector was beeping! We kind of wondered what to do, so he turned off the clothes dryer and called our gas company. I went back to bed. I heard him talking on the phone with them, and then I heard the detector beep more steadily. Well then my husband comes barreling up the stairs and starts freaking out, trying to get me out of the house and trying to get our cats out of the house too.
Getting me out of the house was easy enough, but getting the cats out of the house? A whole other story. Our one cat, Dr. Snuggles (perhaps you are familiar?), freaked out on us. She went ballistic! She scratched all over my husband and scratched my face, hand and arm. At one point, she had her claw stuck in my nose and wasn’t letting go. I was dripping in blood, it was awful. While husband tried to get her into the car (the only safe place we could think of as our cat carrier was occupied by our other cat, Bootsy), I went outside and called 911. The dispatcher already saw that our gas company had issued the fire department to come visit, but then I called for an ambulance because I was seriously bleeding.
They both arrived quickly. The fire department checked our carbon monoxide levels and we were fine. The alarm was faulty (he said they only last four years, and ours is older than that!). The paramedic cleaned me up and told both me and my husband to go to the ER to get a tetanus shot. He said that when cats go mental like that, they can release a “neurotoxin” when they attack you! OMG.
First, we had to get Dr. Snuggles out of the car, which was a feat unto itself. She was growling and cowering at us. Eventually, she came out of the car, but then hid in our neighbour’s bushes. We didn’t want to pick her up because we were both so injured by her already and she was growling a ton! So we decided to sit on our porch, at 2:00 am, and just wait. Five minutes later, she saunters up like nothing has happened. She went inside. We went to the hospital.
Of course, a quick tetanus shot evolved into a 3.5 hour wait in Emergency. Luckily, our doctor was funny, gave us our shots, and gave me a prescription for an antibiotic in case my scratches get infected. We left the hospital at 6:00 am (I was driving because Husband had been drinking that night!), stopped at McDonald’s for a quick bite (so not fit or frugal, but necessary! Oh, so necessary), and came home and slept for about 3 hours. Husband is still sleeping.
What a freaking night! I can’t believe my cat attacked us both! She has a reputation for being feisty, but jeez louise. Luckily, both cats seem to have recuperated from the scary night and are back to their normal selves. I have a scratch on my nose and my left hand is really sore, but I am OK too. I was worried about the stress on my baby, but he/she seems to be doing fine too.
But enough about drama, let’s talk about food! 🙂
I will likely keep my commentary to a minimum because my hand is sore.
So after breakfast yesterday, I had a green monster and cup of coffee! A very, shall we say, “cleansing” sort of combination!
My favourite green monster recipe so far is:
- 1 cup almond or soy milk
- 2 giant handfuls of baby spinach
- 1 overflowing cup of frozen mango
It makes the tastiest of tasty GMS, and pretty to boot!
I had a Larabar on our drive to my parents’.
And a snack plate of cherries, a piece of toast with pb, and 2 laughing cow cheeses when I got there.
Check out my parents’ cat, Coco. She is a domestic longhair who had awful mats of fur stuck on her belly. My parents had her professionally groomed and now she looks like a lion! Or a fashionista!
Her feet look like she is wearing either Ugg boots or bell bottoms!
She really loves her new “look”. She lets you pet her more now and she is so soft. What a cutie.
Well, the surprise party was a lot of fun and it was great to spend time with friends! Almost all of the ladies around my age were pregnant so we had a lot to talk about. We also had a lot to eat! I ate about 1,000 tortilla chips dipped in either hummus or black bean salsa. At least I got my protein! And my sodium But, y’know, I felt totally fine eating so many chips! I feel like I am at a really healthy point with my eating. I eat so well most of the time now, that when I’m at a party, I don’t mind splurging at all. No post-party regret!
For supper, I had a plate of salads:
And a plate with a veggie burger covered in BBQ sauce (no bun), and some more roasted vegetables.
Dessert was cheesecake buffet!!!
Mine is the one in the forefront. I am happy to report that even though it was three days old, it did not go stale! It was rather delicious, so thanks for the tips, ladies!
My share of the damage:
(Husband was attacking this while I took a photograph. I told him to get his own plate!)
I also had some refreshing watermelon:
And got to spend time with some of my best friends in the world. Cheesecake and best friends? I will take it.
And then, of course, I had an egg-and-cheese McMuffin at about 6:00 am. Oy vey!
I am so glad that yesterday is done and I have today to lounge around and recuperate. The gas company shut off our gas while we were at the hospital, so no hot water for us! Oh well. I am perfectly fine with no bathing or dish-washing until they return. I am thinking pancakes are in order for brunch and a full day of nothing is on the agenda! I shall report back tonight with the day’s eats.
May you all have relaxing, uneventful Sundays!